Check the status of this bill: SB3328
The Risk: Horizontal drilling with fracturing operations has caused water contamination in water wells and/or aquifers in these states: Pennsylvania, Texas, West Virginia, and Ohio
- The Mahomet Aquifer provides drinking water for nearly 1,000,000 people and 80 municipalities in the counties located above the aquifer. The aquifer water supply is also used for crop irrigation and livestock. The aquifer lies under the lands of the following Illinois counties: Iroquois, Cass, Champaign, DeWitt, Logan, McLean, Macon, Mason, Menard, Tazewell, Vermilion, and Woodford.
- The Mahomet Aquifer resource remains virtually uncontaminated and provides some of the cleanest water in the nation.
- The Mahomet Aquifer Consortium has been established to further study the aquifer system, the river basins and surface waters located in the regional water supply planning area and to develop and recommend options for the planning and management of these valuable public resources.
- According to a study by independent consultant Tom Myers, who has worked with both governments and conservation groups, fluids from fracking operations can reach shallow drinking-water aquifers in as little as three years. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-03/fracking-fluids-may-migrate-to-aquifers-researcher-says.html
- According to the National Academy of Sciences of the United States, homeowners living <1 km from gas wells in the Marcellus shale gas extraction area have drinking water contaminated with stray gases. http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/06/19/1221635110
- Federal Environmental Protection Agency has linked water contamination to fracking: http://www.propublica.org/article/feds-link-water-contamination-to-fracking-for-first-time
- The Act will halt fracturing on the land of the area situated over or located above the Mahomet aquifer, and create a task force to investigate and document the best practices in the oil and natural gas industry for high volume horizontal fracturing operations and/or horizontal drilling with fracturing operations into, near and through major aquifers.
- The purpose of applying these best practices in the lands of the area situated over or located above the Mahomet aquifer is to retain the viability, purity and cleanliness of the water drawn from the Mahomet aquifer that is utilized for human and animal consumption, and for irrigating crops.
- Co-sponsor and support SB3328 to protect the Mahomet Aquifer!
- The current Hydraulic Fracturing Regulatory Act and proposed Illinois Department of Natural Resources regulatory rules only offer a path of remuneration AFTER contamination has occurred. This Act will provide a path to STOP the contamination BEFORE it occurs. We cannot take a risk with this important water resource.